Tuesday 20 January 2009

Thriller Research

In my spare time, I decided to research thrillers.

Seeing that we are making an opening to a thriller I decided to look at some thriller openings in order to get an idea of what characteristics should be in my thriller opening.

With my research, I found that thrillers are characterized by fast pacing, frequent action. Within the genre 'Thriller', there are many sub-genres. Some of which are:
Action thriller - which the work often features a race against the clock, contains lots of violence. These films usually contain large amounts of guns and explosions.

Crime thriller - These films often focus on the criminal(s) rather than a policeman.

Disaster thriller - In which the main conflict is due to some sort of natural or artificial disaster, such as floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes etc. A very popular disaster thriller is titanic.

Supernatural thriller - In which the conflict is between main characters, usually one of which has supernatural powers.

Drama thriller - These films are usually slower paced and the characters true backgrounds are often revealed later during the film.

No comments: